Saturday, March 14, 2009

A first blog post on MAIACETUS!

Welcome to the first post on my blog Maiacetus (ooh exciting!)!

My name is Kyla Graham and I am a recent graduate of the Research Masters in Marine Mammal Science at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I believe I can safely call myself a WHALE NERD…I have 13 years of experience in marine mammal ecotourism and research, have completed the marine mammal masters and am now plotting and scheming to start my PhD.

So what exactly is it I do? This summer I will be working primarily as a marine mammal observer (MMO) on seismic survey vessels for the offshore oil industry globally. When I’m home I will continue working as a naturalist in the whale watching industry around southern Vancouver Island. More importantly, I intend to get a PhD started within the next year! I am interested in looking at ways to improve methodologies used to research abundance, distribution and habitat use of multiple species of marine mammals focussing on the waters around southern Vancouver Island.

And the point of this blog?

  • To chronicle, for myself and any who are interested, the mundane and not-so-mundane events in the life of a whale watcher, MMO-er, and soon-to-be marine mammal PhD student, aka a full fledged WHALE NERD.
  • To share photos from the day-to-day life of a WHALE NERD.
  • To track and share contemporary issues and topics in marine mammal science.
  • To share factoids about some of the more obscure topics you need to know to be a true WHALE NERD i.e. what exactly is BOOTSTRAPPING and how does it relate to marine mammal research?

So, if you’re interested in WHALES (and other associated marine life!) and want to know more about living the LIFE of a WHALE NERD…stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment