Tuesday, December 9, 2014

December 9, 2014: Surfs Up!

Despite my shoulder injury I still went surfing for about 45 minutes this morning. I probably shouldn't have gone but I couldn't be in this beautiful place with the opportunity to surf nice warm, relatively friendly waters (good for beginners!) without having at least one more go at it. I was sure to be careful though and didn't overdo it while paddling and took lots of breaks. 

It was actually very nice to have the opportunity to slow down, take it easy and enjoy my time on the water even if I wasn't getting a lot of waves. I spent much of the time sitting behind the breakers enjoying the view of the palm fringed beach and watching the other surfers catching waves. Even though I took it easy I still managed to get a couple okay rides but, obviously, with a shoulder in less than ideal form my surf pop ups weren't that great so catching waves was not very easy. I didn't care though...I was still having fun! 

Speaking of fun, or should I say funny, myself and a couple who were surfing near me had an amusing incident while we were hanging out behind the waves this morning. I was a few metres away from them and was out paddling around mostly minding my own business and enjoying the moment when I heard a bunch of squealing coming from their direction. When I looked over to them I noticed they were splashing around and ducking under the water and making a bunch of noise. I soon realised they had a big black bug flying around them and thought to myself, "Oh geez, what's the big deal" and rolled my eyes that they were so worked up about a bug! 

Well, I shouldn't have had that thought because soon enough I was this big, black unidentified (but very possibly biting/stinging) bug's next target...and I did indeed regret that I thought they were silly for acting in such a way. That bug was persistent and would not leave me alone no matter what I tried! I tried to remain as calm as I could but it was buzzing in right close to my face and apparently even landed on my head for a while. I did much of the same as they did trying to splash at it to get it to fly away, hid under my board and dove under the water hoping to lose it. I don't think it helped that I had a bright pink surf board, ha ha! In the end it eventually flew away but it certainly was amusing and a good lesson to myself to never judge others until you're in their situation; a bit of a humbling moment for me and who would've thought a big, black bug off a beach in Colombia could teach you a lesson!

After my relatively brief but fun morning surf session I called it a day for surfing and spent the rest of the afternoon photographing the other surfers. A few Australian guys who were new to the camp were obviously quite a bit more experienced than most of us and I had a great time photographing them catching some waves and making some great moves. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon and they certainly appreciated getting some photos of themselves surfing since they almost never have anybody to photograph them riding the waves. 


One of the sleeping options at the camp...these little huts have beds on platforms inside them and when you wake up you can poke your head out and see the ocean :)

One way to pass the time at the camp (besides lounging in hammocks in the sun)...beach volleyball



Paddle, paddle, paddle :)

Love photographing waves...whether big or small





Orange-chinned parakeet (Brotogeris jugularis)

















Hugo, who I worked with on my last job here and Tim, a Kiwi who is traveling her in Colombia and we met at the camp  





Hugo paddling out




































No comments:

Post a Comment