Saturday, January 17, 2015

January 17, 2015: Gettin' Stoked In Tofino :)

How lucky for me that, at the last minute, my good friend Holly invited me to join her and her friends from Nanaimo to go to Tofino this weekend! I immediately jumped at the opportunity especially because the plan was to go surfing, which I am trying to practice more and more, despite how difficult it is and the fact I have to go at it a little gingerly given my history of kneecap dislocation (bleh!). I know I won't ever be an amazing surfer but for me it's about getting in the water to learn more about the waves and the ocean, move my body (paddle, paddle, paddle!), play with friends...and even, occasionally, catching a wave!

We had an awesome time surfing much of Saturday only quitting when some of us started to feel the cold. Lucky for me I had bought a nice, cozy wet suit and booties last year and I was so snug and warm I could've stayed in the water all day! Of course, I also had to stop because you can only paddle and crash around in the waves for so long before you start to feel the exhaustion set in. As well, when I was at a surf camp in Colombia in December I'd tweaked my shoulder and it was still not 100% so I decided it would be wise to quite before I re-injured it.

After our fun surf session I was exhausted but the post-surf exhaustion is one of the best feelings ever...especially if it's followed by a delicious lunch at Tacofino :)

My surfing buddies for the weekend

Getting ready to hit the water...stretching and practicing pop ups is important!


Playing in the wash

View from a surfboard :)


Catching some waves!

Wash rolling in


Popping up







No comments:

Post a Comment