Tuesday, August 4, 2009

JULY 28, 2009 Day 5 CCGS Tully cruise: yet more Northern Resident killer whale groups!

The whale sightings started at 0730 this morning with groups of Northern 'Resident' fish eating killer whales (Orcinus orca) spotted in Rennison Channel between the north end of Aristazabal and Rennison Islands. Then we received another report of killer whales at 0900, which ended up being the A24s and I11s that we saw yesterday, at Campania Island which lies north of Aristazabal Island (area map). Over the course of the day we ended up seeing the I12s, I15s, W3s and I35s (Northern Resident catalogue).

In the evening I was lucky enough to head out with the FRC crew to do photo ID on the I15s, W3s and I12s and we even saw I51 with her new calf. I learned today that the Northern Resident calves often have a speckled look that I have never seen on the Southern Resident killer whale calves. It was quite an interesting day with lots of killer whales!


James, the whale spotter at a camp for Cetacea Lab on Rennison Island...he gave us lots of useful info about whale sightings and calls he heard on their hydrophone


I51s newest calf!












A startled Steller sea lion (Eumatopia jubatus) leaps out of the water as the pod passes close to shore


Just a little freaked!










Sunset from the Tully

...and the moon







Above 2 photos: on watch



No comments:

Post a Comment