Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January 21, 2014: Seal Gaze

365 Project, Day 152
Here is my day 152 submission to my 365Project:

This afternoon I went for a lovely walk along Willows Beach and Cattle Point in Victoria. I used to live in a house right on Willows Beach (lucky me!) so I always enjoy a wander along the beach remembering the days I spent when I was young running and playing up and down the beach and drifting around on the log rafts I constructed. I was much more tolerant to the frigid waters in those days! 

Of course, what would a visit to a beach in Victoria be without the sighting of some sort of marine wildlife. Today we spotted a harbour seal (Phoca vitulina) swimming around just off the beach, at one point chasing a fish underwater right in the shallows. I loved this photo of him (or her!) glancing  back towards us looking a little uncertain.




Cattle Point landscape looking towards Oak Bay Marina

Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)

Juvenile Glaucous-winged Gull (2nd winter, Larus glaucescens)

Cattle Point Landscape looking towards Chatham and Discovery Islands and San Juan Island, WA in the background

View from Cattle Point looking towards Oak Bay

American Wigeon (Anas americana)

American Wigeon (Anas americana) in flight

harbour seal (Phoca vitulina


harbour seal (Phoca vitulina

Willows Beach out of focus

Willows Beach in focus :)

No comments:

Post a Comment