Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 23, 2014: Rock sausage time!

365 Project, Day 161
Here is my day 161 submission to my 365Project:

Today I went along for a ride on a Five Star Charters whale watching trip. I worked many seasons for Five Star as a naturalist and will occasionally work when I'm home between MMO jobs if they don't have any other crew available. Most of the time though I join trips for boat rides to catch up with my friends who work on the boat...and those in the water :) 

I had a great time on the trip today as it was the first time I saw the famous wolf which has been hanging out on Discover Island (just offshore of the community of Oak Bay in Victoria!) since July 2012. Although it was rather distant I still managed to get some photos as 'proof of presence'. We also had the pleasure of seeing many harbour seals (Phoca vitulina), affectionately known as 'rock sausages' here, and Steller (Eumatopias jubatus) and California (Zalophus californianus) sea lions at Race Rocks Ecological Reserve.


Harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) aka 'rock sausages' hauled out at Race Rocks ;)


Black Turnstone (Arenaria melanocephalain flight at Race Rocks Ecological Reserve

You can just see the wolf sitting in the grass to the left of the twisty arbutus tree :)

...and now time for a wander

Rhinocerous Auklets (Cerorhinca moncerata)

Race Rocks Ecological Reserve

Steller sea lions (Eumatopias jubatus) at Race Rocks

Harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) aka 'Rock sausages' ;) 




No comments:

Post a Comment