Friday, April 11, 2014

April 11, 2014: Eagle Gets Its Gull!

365 Project, Day 167
Here is my day 167 submission to my 365Project:



Since I've moved into my new condo I've been ecstatic at the concept of having a full kitchen with a full sized fridge and an actual proper stove with an oven; I only had a hotplate and a bar sized fridge in my last place. I love baking so one of the first things I wanted to do once I was settled in was to bake some cookies... and today was the day!

After getting all my chocolate chip cookie ingredients together I had just started mixing the dough when suddenly, outside my window, I heard a great cacophony of gulls and crows. Having lived in Victoria almost all my life while I knew this meant the bald eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) were coming in to harass the gulls and either steal their chicks and eggs, or as the case was today, get one of the adults for a meal!

I didn't even look out the window to confirm what I knew was going on outside but ran straight to get my camera, whipped off the lens cap and got back to the window just in time to snap some shots of a bald eagle swooping past my window with one unfortunate gull in it's talons and a whole flock of gulls in pursuit from behind! If anybody thinks gulls have it easy here in Victoria...think again!

I was so happy I got that shot that I immediately put my cookie baking on hold, downloaded the photos and cropped them in to zoom in on the nice close shots of the drama that unfolded. I posted them on Facebook (and to my surprise a lot of people didn't even know the eagles ate the gulls here!) and then emailed them to the CBC's Listener's Lens radio program with the hopes a photo would be posted on the Listener's Lens webpage. Luckily for me, Mark Forsyth, the radio show host, emailed me back and informed me that he had posted them to the website.

But that wasn't the last I heard regarding my lucky shot...the following Monday I was on Saturna Island dogsitting for my friends', who were running a large kayak trip for some Alberta schoolkids with their company Kelp Reef Adventures, when my friend in Cranbrook texted me and told me my photo was mentioned on CBC. As I had little to no phone reception I only found out later in the day that I had won the CBC Listener's Lens photo of the week! Soon enough a CBC mug and calender arrived in the mail for me :) 

Oh and the cookies did eventually get baked...and were delicous!  

Here is the full series of photos from this interesting observation: 















No comments:

Post a Comment