Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 15, 2014: Sheringham Point L pod Killer Whales!

365 Project, Day 201
Here is my day 201 submission to my 365Project:

Today's photo of the day is one of the younger members of L pod as they swam past us at Sheringham Lighthouse on the west coast of Vancouver Island:





This afternoon my friend offered me to join her for a drive up the west coast to China Beach for a walk and a hike. It was a gorgeous day and I was keen to leave the city so I jumped at the opportunity. The drive there was lovely and we had a wonderful lunch on the beach. Of course, because we have both spent years doing marine mammal work especially working on whale watching boats out of Victoria, we regularly scanned the waters with the hopes of spotting splashes or blows of whales in the Strait of Juan De Fuca. Although there were a few times we thought we saw blows we couldn't be sure as there was a lot of wind chop and current in the strait. 

On the way driving back down the coast we stopped at Shirley Delicious Cafe for a coffee to eat with our dessert at Sheringham Lighthouse, just around the corner from the cafe. Just as we were walking down to the lighthouse we spotted some killer whales approaching the lighthouse from the east...members of the L pod Resident 'fish eating' pod were traveling quickly towards the lighthouse! We were just in time to watch them pass by within 100 m of where we were standing at the lighthouse. I was so glad I brought my camera with me as I was able to take photos of them as they swam past. What an awesome day!










L41, a mature male born in 1977 (same year as me!)


L pod member I can't quite identify traveling with L88
L pod member I can't quite identify traveling with L88

L pod member I can't quite identify traveling with L88
L92 a younger male L pod member

L72 (bottom left), L55 (Top right)

L72 (bottom left), L55 (Top right)

L86, a female born in 1991

L86, a female born in 1991

L55 and her daughter L103

L55 and her kids L109 and L103

L55 and her kids L109 and L103

L55 and her kids L109 and L103




L91 born in 1995

L91 born in 1995

Probably L92 born in 1995





L85 a male born in 1991

Heading west along the coast of Vancouver Island towards the open Pacific Ocean






No comments:

Post a Comment