Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 18, 2014: Dilapidated West Coast Cabin

365 Project, Day 202
Here is my day 202 submission to my 365Project:

I've been playing and working on the waters around southern Vancouver Island for years now and I never get tired of being on the water! When I was young we'd go out salmon fishing in our little 17' fibreglass boat (and canned and smoke it ourselves, yum!), I'd build log rafts and float around off the beaches around Victoria and then later, from 1998, I started working in whale watching and research. 

I feel so lucky I grew up in such a beautiful place and had such wonderful experiences as a child! I think everybody should have the opportunity to experience nature and the outdoors, avoiding the increasingly prevalent nature deficit disorder, like my brothers and I did while growing up on the west coast! 

Today's photo is a dilapidated house on the coast west of Victoria near Sooke; it is gradually becoming more and more dilapidated adding an interesting bit of character to the landscape. 



Northern elephant seal (Mirounga angustirostris

The Olympic Mountains, with Mount Olympus visible through the Elwha River Valley, in Washington State
Mount Olympus, Washington State, as seen from Race Rocks Ecological Reserve

Harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) hauled out on the rocks at Race Rocks Ecological Reserve

No comments:

Post a Comment