Saturday, July 27, 2013

July 27, 2013: Snack Time

365 Project, Day 37
Here is my day thirty-seven submission to my 365Project:


I am 10% of the way through the 365 Project and already I'm enjoying looking back on my photos :)

We had many sightings of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) today (10 to be exact!) but I didn't really get any interesting photos so I did another post-shift photo session around the ship. I got this photo at one of the tables in the ship's mess with reflections off of a spoon and...the captain having an evening snack of tomato juice and herring, so Norwegian!






Fun fact of the day: 

The word 'mess' comes from the Old French word 'mes' meaning a 'portion of food', which in the original sense, being "a course of a meal put on the table". This usage of 'mess' appeared in English in the 13th century and was often used for cooked and liquid dishes i.e. a 'mess of pottage' (porridge or soup). By the 15th century a group of people who ate together were also called a 'mess' and this is now the term used in reference to 'messhalls' or a ship's mess. 

Source: Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment