Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29, 2013: Short-finned Pilot Whales

365 Project, Day 39
Here is my day thirty-eight submission to my 365Project:


It was an exciting day today because, although I have been spoiled with lots of humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) sightings, I was fortunate enough to have three sightings (very likely of the same group based on location and timing but this is hard to know for sure!) of mixed groups of short-finned pilot whales (Globicephala macrorhynchus) and bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). I think short-finned pilot whales are very cool marine mammals and I was quite happy to some shots of them milling and interacting with the bottlenose dolphins. 





Fun fact of the day:

The common name "pilot whale" refers to the belief that there is a leader, or 'pilot' of the pod that leads the group and that the group will follow this leader, even when it means certain death. 

Read more about short-finned pilot whales here


No comments:

Post a Comment