Friday, May 1, 2015

May 1, 2015: New Zealand Adventure - Paddling around and Fur Seal Action in Milford Sound!

I am definitely beyond the days of tolerating staying in dorm rooms! I spent many years backpacking all over the world and staying in dorm rooms in hostels and I can definitely say I've had my lifetime's share of dorm rooms. Unfortunately, that being said when I booked myself at Milford Sound Lodge I was disappointed to hear that the only room available for my first night was a dorm room! 

I know, I probably sound like a snob but I'm just very done with the smell of stinky feet and the snoring that tends to come along with dorm room stays. Despite my attempts to find a private room alternative (I even tried to convince some backpacker girls I met at dinner in the lodge to rent a chalet with me!), this time around I had no choice but to endure one night in a four bed dorm. 

Things were looking up when it was time to go to sleep and there was only myself and a very sweet, friendly Belgian girl in our room. She was very tidy and we'd had a nice conversation before going to sleep and I thought I would be free of the usual stench and noise that often accompanies a dorm room stay. Unfortunately, well after we'd fallen asleep we had a couple other guests join us in the night. I give them credit that they were quiet but, sure enough, cramming four bodies in a small heated room (it's been cold here...4C in the morning cold and the heaters are working hard!) resulted in a very stinky room the next morning. I awoke to the stuffiness and stink and it was all I could do to get myself out of there as fast as possible!

I decided my need to evacuate the stuffy dorm room would be a good excuse for me to get out and check out Milford Sound in the wee hours of the morning. The lodge is very near the Sound but as I had arrived in the early evening last night I had yet to see it. I quickly showered, packed my things, threw them in the trunk of the car, had a quick oatmeal and coffee breakfast and grabbed my camera to stroll down to the Sound. 

It was a beautiful and peaceful morning but, man, it was c-c-c-c-old! I didn't imagine it would be so cold in New Zealand (apparently being from Canada I should love this!) and I was very glad I had my new New Zealand wool hat, wool Macpac thermal top and wool gloves. Even with my wool layers I was shivering by the time I'd spent an hour wandering around looking for birds and photographing the Sound. Fortunately, I was able to warm up with a nice coffee at the cafe where the tourist boats depart from.

Here are some photos of the sound from my early morning wanderings:



The main reason I'd come to Milford Sound, besides taking in the breathtaking views...was to take in those views from a kayak, of course! Friends who'd been to New Zealand before or who were avid kayakers told me that paddling in Milford Sound was a must. So, later in the morning I went on a paddle around Milford Sound with Rosco's Milford Sound Kayaks.  

Our kayak guides did a great job of suiting us up and getting us in the boats in a quick and efficient manner. They were all very friendly and entertaining but relaxed enough that we could really take in the sound without too much chatter. Lucky for us, the weather was amazing and sunny (although apparently we missed out on all the waterfalls...but I think that's just what they tell people to make them happy when it's a very wet, rainy day!). It was a gorgeous paddle (see photos following!) and we had a great time taking in the antics of the many New Zealand fur seals/kekeno (Arctocephalus forsteri) that were in the Sound with us that day. It was truly an awesome day that I'll never forget :)

Getting the kayaks prepared for us guests

Enjoying this wonderful, sunny day of paddling!

Spectacular views around Milford Sound




View of Bowen Falls, one of the few waterfalls on this sunny, dry day

Rafting together and taking in Bowen Falls

Paddling in to get a close look at Bowen Falls


Here's a video I took of a couple of New Zealand fur seals hanging out with us. They didn't seem at all bothered by our presence and I was happy to see that all the paddlers were very respectful of them:


Views around Milford Sound Lodge

Milford Sound Lodge

Milford Sound Lodge


No comments:

Post a Comment