Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 3, 2015: New Zealand Adventure - Queenstown scenes and Arrowtown birds en route to Franz Josef

Today was my longest travel day as I drove from Queenstown to Franz Josef where I will spend a couple of days to visit Franz Josef Glacier. According to my research the total driving time for this journey day was supposed to be about 5 hours but as I like to stop and take loads of photos... it took me over 7 hours! 

The day started with me taking in views of the sunrise and Lake Wakatipu from my room at Butterfli Lodge Backpackers. Beautiful sunrises always inspire me to get out and about so I quickly got ready for the day and went for an early morning wander around Queenstown and ate breakfast at Vudu Cafe with its great decor and  delicious food! After breakfast I quickly hit the road headed for Franz Josef.

I love being on the open road with no set plan...I enjoy the freedom of stopping on a whim if something interests me. En route to Franz Josef I visited the historic mining town of Arrowtown to wander the streets and shops, do some bird photography (see photos following) and grab a tasty cinnamon bun for the road from Provisions of Arrowtown Cafe. Oh and I just missed an earthquake that hit the area the following day! Then, by late afternoon I was driving along the Tasman sea off the west coast of the south island. Of course, I made a point of keeping an eye out for whales (I always have my binos on hand :) but, unfortunately didn't spot any. I finally reached the quaint town at Franz Josef just around sunset, settled into my very comfortable cottage at Ten Cottages and went for a wonderful curry dinner at the restaurant, Alice May, just down the road from my cottage.

There's nothing like another good day of driving, listening to some great tunes (my playlist included Monsters And Men, Bon Iver, Death Cab For Cutie, Arcade Fire, The Lumineers and Mumford And Suns), and exploring New Zealand's south island :) 
Sunrise views of Lake Wakatipu from my hostel room
Sunrise views around Lake Wakatipu from my hostel room
The view of Lake Wakatipu from my hostel room
Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown
Around Queenstown
Around Queenstown
Around Queenstown
Around Queenstown
 Views around the old mining town, Arrowtown
Autumn scenes around Arrowtown
Back yard seating area of the cute cafe bakery, Provisions of Arrowtown, where I grabbed a cinnamon bun for the road, Arrowtown
Autumn views around Arrowtown
Autumn views around Arrowtown
Autumn views around Arrowtown
Buckingham Street, Arrowtown
Autumn views of the Arrow River, Arrowtown
Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis), Arrowtown
Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis), Arrowtown
Sneakin' a peak behind...Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis), Arrowtown
House sparrows (Passer domesticus) taking in the autumn sun, Arrowtown
Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis), Arrowtown
House sparrow (Passer domesticus)
Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis), Arrowtown
Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis), Arrowtown
Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis), Arrowtown
Kawarau River
Having a stretch break near Kawarau River
View of Dunstan Lake at my lunch stop
This New Zealand Fantail (Rhipidura fuliginosa) kept flying around me and chattering away while I was making my way down to the beach, for a break from driving, at Ship Creek

Ship Creek
Ship Creek
Ship Creek
Ship Creek
The closer I got to the sea, the more lush it got...view from Knight's Point on the west coast of the south island

View from Knight's Point on the west coast of the south island

Bruce Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment