Saturday, May 2, 2015

May 2, 2015: New Zealand Adventure - Early Morning Milford Sound Time Lapse

One of the main reasons I decided to stay in  Milford Sound at the Milford Sound Lodge was so I could enjoy the area before the day tripping crowds started to roll in on their big coaches. I was up early again today and after another quick breakfast of oatmeal and coffee I bundled up in my cozy New Zealand wool hat, gloves and top, grabbed my camera and took the short 10 minute stroll to the Sound. 

Upon arriving, I wandered around for a while looking for birds and taking in the peace, then after finding a lovely spot along the shore, I decided to settle in and take a time lapse of the rising sun and mist and clouds moving through the Sound in the early morning hours. It was certainly chilly, the south island is definitely in the depths of autumn and temperatures in the early morning can be less than 5C, but it was gorgeous!

Here is the time lapse video I created from an hour and twenty minutes of photos in the early hours of Milford Sound: 
Note: Best viewed in HD


This place is so gorgeous and I'm so glad I got to experience it! Here are some more photos I took including a White Heron/Kotuku (Ardea modesta), which is apparently rare in New Zealand although often seen in estuaries, and a rather friendly Weka (Gallirallus australis). 

Once I was satisfied that I'd really absorbed the beauty of this place (and activity in the Sound was picking up as the first coaches rolled with people arriving to go on boat rides around the Sound!) I decided it was time to pack up and hit the road. I checked out of the lodge, loaded up the car and was soon on the road again to drive back to Queenstown. Yet again, I had a lovely, sunny day making many stops along the way to take in the beautiful landscape. 

I arrived in Queenstown shortly before sunset and after a quick dinner at my hostel, I finished off the day with a brisk walk to the base of Bob's peak where I took the 450 m gondola ride with views of Queenstown. I joined a stargazing tour where our very informative guide taught us bout our nearest and brightest stars and  showed us the rings of Saturn and a globular cluster through very powerful telescopes. Very cool and a fascinating way to end the day...especially the hot chocolate and marshmallows they provided at the end of the tour!

Views around a very peaceful early morning Milford Sound




Taking it all in in the early morning hourse, Milford Sound

White Heron/Kotuku (Ardea modesta)

This Weka (Gallirallus australis) was wandering around the rocky shore and didn't seem at all concerned about my presence even walking straight toward me to pass m at one point

Weka (Gallirallus australis)
Weka (Gallirallus australis)
On the road out of Milford Sound...waiting to enter the Homer Tunnel (cool!)

En Route from Milford Sound back to Queenstown

En Route from Milford Sound back to Queenstown
En Route from Milford Sound back to Queenstown

No comments:

Post a Comment