Wednesday, August 14, 2013

August 14, 2013: Offshore Bat Action!

365 Project, Day 54
Here is my day fifty-four submission to my 365Project:

Quite unexpectedly I had a very different type of mammal come by this morning. Initially, I thought another juvenile cape gannet was approaching us (I had just seen one shortly before this) but as I started snapping photos I thought maybe it was a hawk or some other type of bird...but then I realized it was actually a large bat! After some consultation with Google and other people who have worked offshore it is a straw-coloured fruit bat (Eidolon helvum). This sighting definitely made my morning :) 




Fun fact of the day:

Straw-coloured fruit bats are strong flyers and have been seen up to 125 miles from the nearest land (we were 40 miles offshore today).

Read more about the Straw-coloured fruit bat at the Oregon Zoo's webpage about these bats.


And here are some more images of the bat in flight:








4 comments:

  1. Brilliant observation! Please consider sharing it with AfriBats at
    http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/afribats

    Simply click on "Add observation" and the rest should be self-explanatory.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, additional background information on straw-coloured fruit bats, incl. recent observations, can be found here:
    http://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/40827-Eidolon-helvum
    http://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/40827-Eidolon-helvum#taxon_range

    ReplyDelete
  3. AfriBats! Thanks for your message and the additional links to more information...much appreciated! I will definitely look at sharing this sighting with AfriBats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete