Friday, August 23, 2013

August 23, 2013: Synchronised Dive

365 Project, Day 63
Here is my day sixty-three submission to my 365Project:

We had an incredibly busy day today...13 sightings of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) with the majority of them occurring around the same time. In the morning we were trying to track six different groups at once and then, in the afternoon, we were tracking 3 groups at once. It was so busy I barely had time to pick up my camera and take photos! 

These two whales came by quite close so I managed to get a shot of the two of them diving together. You can easily see how different their tail flukes look (one on the left is black, one on the right is white).



Fun fact of the day:
Researchers use photographs of the underside of humpback whale tail flukes to identify and track movements of individual whales and to estimate how many are in a population. Patterns of pigmentation, scarring and shape of flukes are unique to each individual whale. 

You can read more about humpback whale photo-ID and see examples of more photo-ID research at the Fisheries and Oceans Canada Photographic Catalogue of Humpback Whales of British Columbia webpage (my home!).


And here are a few more photos I managed to take while trying to track all these whales:
















No comments:

Post a Comment