Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 27, 2013: What You Lookin' At?

365 Project, Day 67
Here is my day sixty-seven submission to my 365Project:

I was delighted when this Grey-headed kingfisher (Halcyon leucocephala) landed on the heli-deck this morning during a fairly quiet watch. As I started snapping photos he was definitely keeping an eye on what I was up to; I loved this photo of him from straight on with the wind blowing up from under the heli-deck ruffling his feathers :)




Fun fact of the day:
Both sexes of the Grey-headed kingfisher excavate the nest, which is a burrow consisting of a tunnel leading to a nest chamber. It is usually dug into riverbanks, erosion gullies, irrigation ditches and termite mounds. 

To read more about the Grey-headed kingfisher check out Birdguides.com

Here are the rest of the Grey-headed kingfisher series:











No comments:

Post a Comment