Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11, 2013: Itchy Monkey Foot

365 Project, Day 112
Here is my day 112 submission to my 365Project:

It is day two for me at Camp Malongo in Cabinda Province, Angola. I am here for a few days until I fly out to the ship by helicopter on Wednesday. Since there's not a lot else to do here I am taking advantage of my last time on shore (and in Africa!) to enjoy the terrestrial wildlife before I go offshore for 6 or more weeks. 

I heard there were monkeys around the camp and, sure enough, when I returned from my morning walk this morning I saw a group of what turned out to be vervet monkeys (Chlorocebus pygerythrus) just outside my accommodation. Vervet monkey males have bright blue balls which is a distinct feature you can use to identify them (see photos following). 

I just can't get enough of watching animals in action interacting with each other and their environment. In the end, although I got many fun shots today, I really enjoyed the photo of this monkey scratching it's foot. :)

Itchy monkey foot!

Fun fact of the day:
Vervet monkeys are primarily frugivous (fruit eating) but will supplement their diets with insects. 

Read more about vervet monkeys at these links:




It seems these sitatungas (Tragelaphus spekii) tend to keep near the forest edge in camp...this is the second day I've seen them in roughly the same location. This one is a female which you can tell by her stripes.

Butterfly and morning dew

White-fronted bee eater (Merops bullockoides)

White-fronted bee eaters (Merops bullockoides)

This beautiful yellow flower was growing along the ground along the side of one of the camp roadways

I believe this is a Little grey greenbul (Bulbul gracile)...if you think otherwise do let me know!

Probable Little grey greenbul (Bulbul gracile) 

This was quite a scruffy looking White-fronted bee eater! (Merops bullockoides)

White-fronted bee eater (Merops bullockoides)

White-fronted bee eater (Merops bullockoides)

White-fronted bee eater! (Merops bullockoides)
It might not look like much in this photo but this is a large butterfly one of the White-fronted bee eaters (Merops bullockoides) caught!

Blue breasted cordon-bleu waxbill (Uraeginthus angolensis)

Blue breasted cordon-bleu waxbill (Uraeginthus angolensis)


Blue breasted cordon-bleu waxbill (Uraeginthus angolensis)

Blue breasted cordon-bleu waxbill (Uraeginthus angolensis)


Probable female green-throated sunbird (Chalcomitra rubescens)

Village (dark headed) weaver (Ploceus cucullatus)

Village (dark headed) weaver (Ploceus cucullatus)

You can tell this male is a vervet monkey (Chlorocebus pygerythrus) because of his bright balls







I wasn't sure what these guys were eating...possibly garbage they raided from the camp or, as I discovered later, mangoes from a large mango tree I later saw had clearly been raided by monkeys




Striped Kingfisher (Halcyon chelicuti)

Striped Kingfisher (Halcyon chelicuti)


Long legged pipit (Anthus pallidiventris)

Some of the flatter, drier landscape around the camp

No comments:

Post a Comment