Wednesday, November 20, 2013

November 20, 2013: Jaeger In Flight

365 Project, Day 117
Here is my day 117 submission to my 365Project:

This morning this Jaeger flew past the ship while I was on watch. I only saw my first Pomarine Jaeger (skua) (Stercorarius pomarinuslast year when I was working offshore Tanzania so I'm still quite new at identifying these species. It was definitely too brief a sighting for me to ID in the field but after downloading the images I believe it is either a Pomarine Jaeger or Parasitic Jaeger (Stercorarius parasiticus). I am not too sure at this point...but will add an update when and if I can get it confirmed :)

November 27 Update...okay, according to my bird nerd friends the consensus is that this guy was an Arctic Skua or parasitic jaeger (Stercorarius parasiticus).  

Arctic Skua or parasitic jaeger (Stercorarius parasiticus) in flight 


Fun fact of the day:
Pomarine jaegers obtain their food through 'kleptoparasitism'...which is they forage by taking fish from stealing prey from other seabirds. They will also take fish from the water surface, diving, scavenging or preying on smaller birds. 

Read more about Pomarine jaegers at the Bird Web webpage on this species.









No comments:

Post a Comment