Tuesday, November 26, 2013

November 26, 2013: Sunset Ship Silhouette

365 Project, Day 123
Here is my day 123 submission to my 365Project:

We had perfect weather today for observations...and while I did spot some dolphins traveling and leaping in roughly the same direction we were heading this morning they did not come any closer than 5 km so, unfortunately, no photos. 

Oh well, hopefully sometime soon we'll get a nice sighting that is close enough for me to get some good shots! With the great weather we had a gorgeous sunset this evening which, surprisingly, we haven't had so many of on this job with the mainly grey, overcast days. When they do happen...I still love the offshore sunsets!

Here's my sunset photo of the day. I did some cropping and added the border but for some reason, and this is the first time I've had this problem, the edits look funny on here even though the photo looks fine when viewed from the original file.  After some time it has grown on me anyways, so here you go:



Fun fact of the day:
As the sun is setting it is getting lower and lower on the horizon and it's light must pass through more of the atmosphere to reach us. This creates a prism effect as the light has to pass through thousands of miles of the atmosphere when the sun dips below the horizon. As this happens the bluer wavelengths of light get scattered leaving the reddest wavelengths to be detected by your eye. This is scattering of the blue, green and violet wavelengths is what creates the beautiful reds and oranges of the sunset.

Read more about the physics of Sunsets at this Scienceblogs.com webpage.

Here are some more shots from the day:
BBLT on a beautiful, sunny calm day

BBLT on a beautiful, sunny calm day

Another gorgeous offshore sunset



No comments:

Post a Comment