Saturday, November 30, 2013

November 30, 2013: Cattle Egret On The Move...and a 'floatel' and FRC action!

365 Project, Day 127
Here is my day 127 submission to my 365Project:

All was pretty quiet this afternoon when I spotted a white bird flying towards us through my binos. Spotting that guy so far in advance gave me enough time to grab my camera, check the settings were right for photographing a bird in flight and then snap off some shots as it flew past us headed in the opposite direction...and I was pretty happy I got some nice shots out of the brief sighting :)



Fun fact of the day:
Cattle egrets are pretty smart! They have been observed along the side of runways waiting for airplanes to pass and blow insects out of the grass. They will also follow farm equipment to catch insects disturbed as the equipment passes.

Learn more about Cattle Egrets at this Whatbird.com webpage.

Here are some more photos from today:

This vessel just arrived in the survey area recently...I'm not sure what exactly they're doing (possibly bringing supplies?) but one of the clients today referred to it as a 'floatel' (floating hotel) which I found quite amusing...it does look like it's built mostly as accomodation

The weather has been variable lately with periods of sun and blue skies and then these periods of deep grey overcast which make for some dramatic views


Cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis)

Cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis)

Cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis)

Cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis)

Cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis)

Another shot of the 'floatel'  

This afternoon there was a quick transfer using the FRC (Fast Rescue Craft). One of the officers, the party chief and the bosun zipped over in the FRC to our chase boat to pick up some supplies and I snapped some photos of them in action...and they did a great job getting the job done in a safe and timely manner :)













Now that's teamwork...helping fellow crew move safely around the vessel



Our Bosun post boat ride...he loves to have his photo taken :)


No comments:

Post a Comment