Sunday, November 24, 2013

November 24, 2013: Flamin'...and an Arctic Skua (Parasitic Jaeger)

365 Project, Day 121
Here is my day 121 submission to my 365Project:

"Set you life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames"
-Rumi

These are the night lights of offshore Angola...natural gas flares coming off oil and gas installations scattered around the horizon. Many nights I have woken from my deep sleep to the light of a natural gas flare bouncing around in my cabin. A bit like when you doze off next to the fireplace...but this is not quite as cozy. Oh well, I'm offshore Angola in December and with Christmas coming soon I am feeling a bit nostalgic about crisp winter days and sitting by the fireplace. I guess this will have to do for now :) 


Fact of the day:
Natural gas flares are considered a waste and a problem to some. According to the data on the webpage Resilience.org "Every year, approximately 140-150 billion cubic meters (bcm) of natural gas is flared into the atmosphere. According to calculations by the World Bank, that is equivalent to three quarters of Russia's gas exports, or almost one third of the European Union's gas consumption. 



I also observed and photographed this Arctic Skua (Stercorarius parasiticusalso known as the Parasitic jaeger) flying past the ship today:





BBLT at dusk...with gas flare in action



No comments:

Post a Comment