Thursday, November 28, 2013

November 28, 2013: Kuito Green Flash

365 Project, Day 125
Here is my day 125 submission to my 365Project:

It was another lovely sunny and warm day today. I was on the sunset watch this evening and when I saw the sun setting next to Kuito FPSO. I thought it looked interesting having the the large natural gas flare flame and the large ball of sun in the same photo (see photos following). While I was photographing the sun, as a large ball of fire, setting with Kuito FPSO I realized we had good conditions to see the green flash...and I managed to get this photo of it just as the sun dropped below the horizon. 


You can just make out the green edging on the last bit of the sun as it drops below the horizon to the right of Kuito FPSO
Fun fact of the day:
There are several kinds of green flashes and almost every kind is a by-product of a mirage. All of the common forms are magnified images of the green rim produced by light dispersion on the bulk of the atmosphere (source). 

To read more about the green flash check out this San Diego State University webpage.

Sunset with Kuito just before the green flash

And more shots of another lovely offshore sunset:


No comments:

Post a Comment