Monday, November 18, 2013

November 18, 2013: On The Ship's Bridge

365 Project, Day 115
Here is my day 115 submission to my 365Project:

I don't take a lot of photos of people. I feel awkward photographing people because I never know if I should ask them (at which point they'll likely 'strike a pose' and I won't get natural shots) or if I don't ask I'm afraid they'll be upset I took the photo. I also feel more pressure taking photos of people because you never know how the person will perceive the shot, whether they will like it or not. This is one area in my photography I need to develop...once I get a little more comfortable either asking or just taking the photos!

While I was on the bridge during a 'close pass' this afternoon I took this photo of the officers, captains and seismic crew working on the bridge. During a close pass the vessel is passing other installations (rigs, bouys etc) in the survey prospect...this is a time when everybody on the bridge has to remain very focused! 



Fun fact of the day:
The "bridge deck" was originally a deck structure on side-wheel paddle steamers which extended from the top of one paddle to the other, forming a bridge between them and allowing the officer of the watch, standing on this bridge, to have a clear view ahead. 


Read more ship terms and definitions at this Ship Nostalgia webpage.

Here are some more photos...we were passing close to this bouy with a long hose extending off the end of it. You will see the tow vessel keeping the end of the hose out of our path. 








No comments:

Post a Comment