Saturday, May 10, 2014

May 10, 2014: Great Black Backed Gull With Wound

365 Project, Day 183
Here is my day 183 submission to my 365Project:


Although it was a sunny day the winds picked up reaching speeds up to 25 kts which is not great for searching for marine mammals as such winds make for choppy seas. In addition to choppy seas it seems the gulls like to ride the updraft created along the windward side of the vessel as the wind gusts towards us...this is great for watching them cruising around past us. While on watch this Great Black-Backed Gull (Larus marinus) spent a fair bit of time soaring next to the ship in these updrafts  and I got a great look at it and could get some photos from where I was observing in the bridge. 

Unfortunately, this poor gull appears to have a bit of a wound on it's belly and it must have been bothering it because I saw it scratching the wound a few times mid flight. Oh the tough life of a gull at sea...poor thing!




No comments:

Post a Comment