Friday, May 30, 2014

May 30, 2014: North Sea Minke Whale

365 Project, Day 195
Here is my day 195 submission to my 365Project:

It was another lovely day in the North Sea today! In fact it was one of our best days yet with 13 marine mammal sightings; 1 common seal sighting (harbour seal, phoca vitulina), five grey seal sightings (Halichoerus grypus), 2 harbour porpoise sightings (Phocoena phocoena), 4 minke whale sightings (Baleanoptera acutorostrata) and 1 white-beaked dolphin (Lagenorhynchus albirostris) sighting. Today's photo is of one of the minke whales that passed quite close to the ship just as I was finishing my watch...fortunately I hadn't put my camera away yet and I snapped a few shots of it cruising by :)




An here are some shots of a leaping white-beaked dolphin, the sunrise and the second officer shooting off flares at a ship that was approaching us. Due to the multiple cables towed behind our vessel we are restricted in our ability to move and vessels must maintain a good distance from us. Finally, after trying to reach the ship for 45 minutes and setting off the flares the vessel responded and altered course! You just never know what's going to happen out here from day to day!












No comments:

Post a Comment