Saturday, May 24, 2014

May 24, 2014: Early Morning Dolphins

365 Project, Day 192
Here is my day 192 submission to my 365Project:

As we are approaching summer the days are getting longer and longer here meaning that our night time acoustic monitoring (using the PAM, passive acoustic monitor, system) are quite short and currently run from midnight until ~4 am. It was a gorgeous morning when I went up to the bridge and I had a very strong feeling I was going to spot something very soon. I even commented to the officer on watch that this morning was going to be a great morning and that we'd surely be seeing something soon. 

Well, my feeling was right because not 20 minutes into my visual watch did I spot a group of dolphins traveling quickly ahead of us. It was a group of four White-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris) including one very young animal! They traveled very quickly crossing ahead of the bow about 800 m ahead of us which, until they crossed into the early morning glare, was a nice distance to get some photos...and here are 3 of the animals zipping along at full speed :)


Early morning dolphins...white-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris)

white-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris)...you can really make out the tall, distinctly falcate dorsal fin which is key characteristic for species ID

white-beaked dolphin (Lagenorhynchus albirostris)

white-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris)

white-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris) heading into the glare

white-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris)

Here are some action shots of a couple of juvenile gulls taking off...I love getting these photos and they're great for practicing frozen action shots :)

Juvenile gull

Juvenile gull take-off

Juvenile gull take-off

Juvenile gull take-off





No comments:

Post a Comment