Tuesday, May 6, 2014

May 6, 2014: One Scruffy Wheatear

365 Project, Day 180
Here is my day 180 submission to my 365Project:

My photo of the day is this poor, scruffy looking wheatear, which I believe could be a Black-eared Wheatear (oenanthe-hispanica), was around the ship while we were conducted our visual watches for marine mammals today. Looks like it had a bit of a rough flight before landing to join us!



On May 3, after a great day checking out the sights and sounds of Amsterdam (see photos from that day here) couple of days ago we joined the vessel to depart Den Helder for the waters off the east coast of England. The first thing, before we even departed the dock, was to be sure our acoustic monitoring equipment was in order. So, after the full day in Amsterdam, a big meal at the hotel, going to immigration and joining the ship, we hit the back deck and sorted out our acoustic equipment. We started at 2130 and, though we thought it would only take a couple of hours, didn't finish until after 0330! This wasn't too late for me though (even though I was tired!) because I am doing the midnight to noon watch so the later I could stay up into the night (or early morning) the better for me to be getting on my working schedule. 

Once we had most of the acoustic equipment ready to be deployed we also initiated our daytime visual watches for marine mammals. Along with the marine mammal observations we will also be recording and photographing the bird species we see while out here...and the little Black-eared Wheatear (oenanthe-hispanica) and this Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) are a couple of our first observations.


No comments:

Post a Comment