Thursday, May 29, 2014

May 29, 2014: Gannet On The Move

365 Project, Day 194
Here is my day 194 submission to my 365Project:

Oh the gannets! There they are all day flying and fishing around the ship...my source of entertainment when there is little else to be seen :)

Here's a couple shots of one our most commonly observed bird species out here in the North Sea, a Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus) in flight:






And a wonderful little poem, by Julian Dale, inspired by the gannet :)


THE GANNET

My favourite bird's the gannet:
It's the best bird on the planet.
It's better than knots
And guillemots
And beats razorbills by lots and lots.
Yes, my favourite bird's the gannet:
It just can't be beaten, can it?
It hatches on ledges,
Where it stays till it fledges
And grows a physique
With a fabulous beak.
Then it takes to the air
And soars way up there,
Till it reaches a summit,
Whence it dives in a plummet
And down with a S W I S H !
It catches a fish.
Yes, my favourite bird's the gannet
(Apart from my girlfriend, Janet!).


No comments:

Post a Comment