Friday, May 16, 2014

May 16, 2014: Feeling Moon-ey

365 Project, Day 188
Here is my day 188 submission to my 365Project:

Today I think I was able to capture a somewhat better image of the moon in the wee hours of the morning than I did on yesterday or the day before. I'll probably forget the settings by the time I try to do this again but that's the wonderful thing about digital, you have many opportunities to play with settings and capture the shot you're hoping for! 


The one thing I needed to figure out is why I'm getting posterization, or banding, in these images? It isn't so bad in my photo of the day but you'll see in this next photo that it's there...there are distinct bands of colour around the moon. According to this webpage the basic gist of it seems to be that these shots, which inclue areas of little detail, are posterized because they were shot in JPEG fine format and not Raw format. There is too little info spread too far apart in the JPEG image thus creating the blocky banding seen here. 

I have indeed heard in my path of learning photography that it's best to shoot in Raw, especially for post processing purposes including the cropping I've done here. I've gone through my phases of shooting in Raw and I understand there is much more information in a Raw format photos; the only thing is Raw files are just such big files and require even more time for post processing!  Oh well, looks like I'll be shooting Raw next time I want to photograph the moon and, although it'll take some more time to get the final result, there should be no posterization :)


Posterized moon

Breagh offshore platform

Sunrise over the barovane

Breagh sunrise

Breagh sunrise

Breagh sunrise

Breagh installation silhouetted at sunrise 

Lone Common Guillemot (Uria aalge) aka Common Murre 

Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus) taking off

Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus

Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus

Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus

No comments:

Post a Comment