Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December 11, 2013: Spotted Flycatcher

365 Project, Day 136
Here is my day 136 submission to my 365Project:

The Flycatcher (Haiku)

Dawn has come again
The Flycatcher flew today
Bye beautiful birds

copyright © 2005 Robert L. Huntsman 
While I was sitting on the heli-deck scanning the water for marine mammals and turtles, and generally letting my mind drift off, I saw something out of the corner of my left eye...and there, to my delight, was a little spotted flycatcher (Muscicapa striata) sitting on one of the rails near the heli-deck. I took some shots from where I was sitting but then slowly inched my way a bit closer to try and get better shots and I was pretty happy for this little visitor for me to have something other than sunsets and clouds to photograph today! 


Spotted flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)...almost losing balance on the handrail :)

Fun fact of the day: 
Spotted flycatchers primarily feed on flying insects of several species and will also feed on spiders, harvestmen, snails, earthworms and some small fruits and berries. They hunt by sallying from a perch at 1-2 metres above ground, catching their prey in flight and returning to the perch to eat the insect.

Read more about the spotted flycatcher at Oiseaux.net's Spotted flycatcher webpage.



Spotted flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)

Spotted flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)

Spotted flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)

Spotted flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)

Spotted flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)

No comments:

Post a Comment