Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23, 2013: Purple Meniscus

365 Project, Day 144
Here is my day 144 submission to my 365Project:

While trying to figure out what to photograph today I noticed my water bottle sitting with the sun shining through it so I snapped a couple shots to see what I'd get. I liked how the sun shining through the water showed the magnification of the straw and the smooth texture of the water and meniscus it formed on the straw.


Fun fact of the day:
Water molecules like to stick together because water has a fairly high surface tension. So, when they touch the wall of a water vessel i.e. the water bottle with the straw in it, they attracted to the molecules of the straw and water bottle thus clinging to it and forming a meniscus.

Read more about the water meniscus at this USGS Water Science School webpage

Oh and here's a shot showing the lovely tiger striped foot tan lines I'm getting from wearing my Keens on my watches. For safety reasons we're only supposed to wear shoes with a backstrap on the heal, so NO flip-flops (this isn't a holiday ;) ...hence the lovely tan lines, ha ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment