Friday, December 20, 2013

December 20, 2013: Katydid Face Off

365 Project, Day 143
Here is my day 143 submission to my 365Project:

My days on the heli-deck spending hours scanning the water and skies for wildlife can often be a bit solitary but when something, like a little insect, comes along and hangs out with me, I often get pretty excited...which results in me taking lots of photos of such little visitors :) 

Here are some images of a katydid (Family Tettigoniidae) who joined me on the helideck for a couple hours today:


Katydid Face Off!



Fun fact of the day:
In all species of katydid the front wings have special structures that can be rubbed together to make sounds. They hear these sounds with flat patches on their legs that act as ears.

Read more about Katydid's at this BioKIDS webpage.





I loved this series of the katydid's long antenna blowing around in the breeze:




No comments:

Post a Comment