Tuesday, December 24, 2013

December 24, 2013: Christmas Suckling Pig

365 Project, Day 145
Here is my day 145 submission to my 365Project:

Well, it's Christmas eve offshore and, as seems to be tradition on all offshore seismic vessels (this is my third Christmas offshore), the deck and galley crew roasted a suckling pig at the top of the back deck. 

Being somebody who doesn't eat red meat or chicken (I will eat some seafood as it is often the best way to still get some protein while working offshore) I am not usually too excited about the prospect of the roasted suckling pig. Despite this, I will usually go check out the process of roasting the pig... and it still shocks me to see that whole suckling pig roasting on the spit. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the realities of the 'circle of life' (I have observed many Transient killer whales killing porpoises, seals, sea lion and a minke whale!), but I know that if I had to hunt and kill my own food I'd probably only capable of doing so with fish and I still feel bad when I have to whack a fish on the head or kill a crab to eat it. 

Here's an image I got of one of our Filipino deck crew turning the spit. The guys have to do this for many hours while the pig roasts trading off on spit turning duty the entire time.



Fact of the day:
A suckling pig is a piglet fed on its mother's milk and, in culinary contexts, is slaughtered between two and six weeks. Often, piglets are fed on a liquid diet after they're weaned for up to 10 weeks and then sold as larger suckling pigs. In reality these are 'faux' suckling pigs since they aren't still feeding (or suckling) on their mother's milk.

Read more about suckling pigs at this wiseGeek webpage.

Some more images from the pig roast:










No comments:

Post a Comment