Wednesday, December 25, 2013

December 25, 2013: Christmas dolphins!

365 Project, Day 144
Here is my day 144 submission to my 365Project:

All I wanted for Christmas was a Christmas whale or Christmas dolphins...and lucky for me, Santa delivered :)  

While eating my Christmas breakfast with the medic and one of the client reps in the mess room this morning, I glanced out the window and there, to my delight, was a group of dolphins swimming just a few hundred metres off the starboard side of the ship! Of course, I had to  go get a better look and photograph them so I threw down my cutlery and took off to the bridge to grab my camera and binos and check out our Christmas visitors. 

Unfortunately for me, I had a difficult time photographing the group of Common dolphins (Delphinus sp.); my camera was very cold from sitting in the air conditioned bridge so when I went outside it instantly fogged up and, not until the camera and lens matched the ambient temperature outside, could I get any photos despite my many attempts to wipe the moisture off the front of the lens. This was incredibly frustrating especially because I figured out a couple days ago that by keeping my camera in my cabin (in my bed, ha ha!) it would be warm enough to not fog up when I took it out in to the tropical warmth and humidity. Silly me, I had not kept it in my cabin with me last night because today was our last day of production and we hadn't had a sighting for a few days and I didn't really expect we'd have another sighting. Once again I learned my lesson...as is typical with wildlife always plan for the unexpected!  

Here are the best of the shots I could get despite my slightly foggy lens:


Christmas Dolphins! 
You can see the distinct V-shaped dip below the dorsal fin on the dolphin in the middle of the shot...an important feature to use to identify this species.

Fun fact of the day:
Dew Point Temperature is an important thing to know about when shooting in situations with large temperature gradients i.e. the cold air-conditioned bridge of the ship to the warm, humid environment in the tropical outdoors. Dew Point Temperature is the temperature at which humidity (or water vapor) in the air condenses (becomes liquid again) and when you move the camera from one environment to another in which the camera temperature was at or below the Dew Point Temperature  the water vapor in the air condenses on the cold camera creating an annoying fogged up lens.

To read more about Cameras, humidity and condensation check out this The-Digital-Picture.com webpage.








Santa Claus hard at work on the bridge


Our little Christmas tree in the messroom

We even decorated our cabin doors with glowing icicles and all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment