Thursday, September 19, 2013

September 19, 2013: Malahat View

365 Project, Day 84
Here is my day eighty-four submission to my 365Project:

This morning I departed Victoria to take the Tofino Bus on the ~6 hour ride to spend the weekend in beautiful Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island. On the way our bus driver stopped at the top of the Malahat so we could take in the view of the Saanich Peninsula and the Gulf Islands ( even though I live here I still enjoy taking in the view every time I pass through!)

I didn't take many other photos today but did manage to snap some shots from the viewpoint. 




Fun fact of the day:
The Malahat Highway climbs to a summit of 356 m (1156 ft) and was first cut as a cattle train in 1861. It was then upgraded to wagon-road standards in 1884 and then became a paved road in 1911. 

Read more about the Malahat region, it's history and significance to Malahat First Nation  at the VancouverIsland.com Malahat webpage.




No comments:

Post a Comment