Thursday, September 5, 2013

September 5, 2013: Thunderstorm!

365 Project, Day 72
Here is my day seventy-two submission to my 365Project:

Tonight was, quite unexpectedly, the first night I got photos of a thunderstorm. These are so rare here in Victoria and I've never tried to photograph them before but I was incredibly happy I managed to get a few photos!


Fun Fact of the day:
Lighting is a giant discharge of electricity accompanied by a brilliant flash and loud crack of thunder. The spark can reach over eight km in length, raise the temperature of the air by as much as 27, 000 degrees Celsius and contain a hundred million electrical volts. 

Read more facts on lightning at National Geographic's page Flash Facts About Lightning

Here are some more photos from earlier in the day and from the thunderstorm:

 Morning mist at Beacon Hill Park



Above two photos: Harbour seal (Phoca vitulina) feeding on a salmon just off the beach at Dallas Road early this morning

 I love how this young crow appears to be deep in thought

Gull angel wings



Above two photos: the colours of sunset at Macaulay Point


Above two photos: cruise ship and Ogden Point night lights

We could see the lightning from Macaulay Point but moved to Clover Point and that is were I got the lightning series :)






No comments:

Post a Comment